Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pet Slime Mold

After this post it is quite possible that you will think me completely crazy. But ever since I was like seven or something I have always wanted a pet slime mold. I have the Planet Dexter Animal Grossology book to thank for this. This book is also responsible for my fear of tapeworms, nevertheless the book is one of my favorites. 


So What is a slime mold? According to the book a slime mold is actually a protoctista (prō'tək-tĭs'tə) - a single celled organism. Apparently slime molds can grow as big as the palm of your hand or even a beach towel - that's a very big cell.


So the pages on slime molds in the book are full of illustrations making them look so cute and cuddly, and instructions for keeping a slime mold pet. I just knew I had to have one. The problem is finding one. Every time I see something slimy and yellow growing on a log in the woods I wonder if it might make a good pet. I have searched for over half my life for the perfect slimy pet, but to no avail, until today. While walking the dog this evening I spotted the spitting image of the pet slime mold in the Grossology book, and I had acquired a new pet.




Just in case you think this guy is as adorable as I do, you may be wondering: What does one need to happily house a pet slime mold?
     Well, a slime mold is very low maintenance and low cost. No expensive cages or equipment needed. In fact you probably have everything you need already in the house (other than the slime mold I assume). 


Supplies:
apple sauce cup or other similar container 
circular coffee filter or paper towel
rubber band
big mason jar
water 
oatmeal


Basically: Secure the rubber band over the coffee filter and the apple sauce cup to create a taught surface for your slime mold to live on. Place the cup inside the jar. Fill the jar with water so that the coffee filter is just touching the water. Next, place a pinch of ground oatmeal  on the coffee filter for your pet to eat - they like a healthy meal. Finally, place your new pet on its "bed". Just remember to give it a name and feed it every other day or so and maintain the water level. 


I have appropriately named this one Slimy.










10 comments:

  1. I remember reading that book forever ago. Can't find it now, so glad you put up a photo of that page. Brought back memories. Haven't managed to find a slime mould that looked like that. Maybe they look different in the tropics..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good luck with your search for a slime mold pet!

      Delete
  2. i think that's a polypore mushroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I'm learning about cells in science right now! I hope to soon get one😆

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I realize this was a few years ago but I noticed that you also live in NY and I was wondering if you could share where you were able to obtain your pet? I'd love of my own. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Sorry to disappoint, but I after writing this article I realized that this might not have been a real slime mold... it did not last that long in its new habitat :( I found it in the forest. I honestly don't remember the specifics of the discovery. Thanks for the comment tho!

      Delete
    2. Hi! I'm late to this party but I also live in NY. You can easily find slime moulds in decaying leaf litter on the forest floor. Look for bright yellow cobwebs on moist leaves!

      Delete
  5. Its been a while since thos blog was written. Can you give us an update on "Slimey" and also tell us where you managed to find one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SimplyStacy. Unfortunately my methods of maintaining this "pet" did not go so well... I ended up releasing it to the wild a few days after this was published. I originally found it in the forest, sorry but I do not remember the specific details :/ Thanks for your comment tho!

      Delete
  6. found a whole bunch on muddy areas

    ReplyDelete